Pinch me.
Is it real? Am I really a homeowner? Yes! Yes! Yes! I am a HOMEOWNER!
What a surreal feeling. I can't believe that I have my own house and that I won't be paying someone else's mortgage off anymore.
Last night, we went as a family to meet the realtor at the house and for her to give us OUR keys. She's been watching my reactions as we've gone through the whole process between looking at houses, bidding, waiting, and finally...buying. I've been very non-chalant and she wondered if I was at all excited about any house we saw. I just didn't want to get my hopes up so I checked my emotions at each door.
It hit me when I was about to make my way into the house. Just after "D" unlocked the door, he stopped me in my tracks and said, "I have been wanting to do this ever since we met!", scooped me up into his arms and carried me over the threshold. I can't even begin to describe what I was feeling. All I could do was let go with tears of utter joy.
While we set up the champagne toast (brought in by our wonderful realtor) in the kitchen, both girls ran through the whole house. I didn't think the little one would even know what was going on but every time I'd ask her, "Is this your house?", she would squeal triumphantly and zip through the living room. She knew.
My oldest already has designs on what we should do with each room but she will soon learn that this is Mommy's domain and while I will keep her ideas in mind, I plan on making this a home that fits us all.
"D" and I had been excited all day long and on my way to work, happened to see my father-in-law driving to his department. We work in the same organization but in different departments. It is interesting to see how a father is both proud and envious of his son's achievements.
"Your house is much better than our first," is what he said about the house he bought two years ago with his wife. He also started sharing a bit of history about a land purchase he made with "D's" mom when they were still together. When they split up, my MIL got the land as part of the divorce. "Water under the bridge," said my FIL. The feeling in his eyes said otherwise.
Both my MIL and FIL are good people, they just weren't good for each other.
They have been a tremendous source of support in so many ways. My MIL is wonderful with the kids and my FIL has already committed to helping us get the basement space cleaned up. His first project is the girls' outdoor playhouse set up. Building it from scratch and with real wood. It'll be their little space to keep toys and will help keep the kids from being underfoot while I "nest" in my house.
My house.
This is for real. This is not a dream.
MY HOUSE. :)

1 Comments:
Congrats congrats congrats congrats!!!! I'm so happy for you. :)
Caz
Post a Comment
<< Home